Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Laura, you fish, you.

I've been writing poetry lately. Here's my latest. It's an Italian sonnet.

The Bait of Battered Love

This morning sunlight filled my cluttered flat--

I woke embittered by my sleep cut short

And hid myself back in my duvet fort

To breathe new life into my cushioned slat.

No, I have never loved in all these years

No mum, no dad, no Laura to adore--

No pearled shell that washed in on my shore.

Oh tragic fate, I wear the crown of Lear.

But what’s that headached pounding on my door?

I stir from sheets still warm with stifled sleep.

Upon my porch I find, to my chagrin,

Some fish and chips left waiting on the floor.

I’m hooked and reeled from dreary waters deep:

The bait of battered love with salt and skin.

2 comments:

  1. you're a regular keats.
    very nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a masterful display of words, wit, and fish!"
    -News Weekly

    "No, really, I liked it."
    -Marge "celluloid heart" Bjork

    ReplyDelete